Thursday 24 February 2011

Promarkers and Blending

I do like my Promarkers. A lot. And when I saw the little competition on Enfys' blog, well, I just had to indulge! I started off using felt tips (and that was not so long ago) to colour my images when I wanted more zing and intensity, so armed with a set of 48 felt tips from Tesco (a bargain at £2.50!) I learnt how to blend and build up colour. The hard way. Felt tips don't, won't and can't blend. But Promarkers do!

Even when the image has been left for a while, you can still go back and layer more colour over the top or add a complementary colour and build it up that way.

Personally, I always start with the lightest colour I want on my image and then add darker and darker where I need shadow or to add form. I also use opposite colours - if I'm using reds I add a green too as it gives more intensity. And you know, black is never black - always a mix of primary and secondary colours! Think of kids and paint - by the time they have finished, all the paint is a muddy blackish colour! That way your black looks real black and not flat black.

Anyway! For my card here, I've used a sheet of acetate and papers from Funky Daze from Funky Hand plus some mint green organza ribbon that I seem to have a never ending roll of!

I've used my Nesties to cut the shape and then stamped the sentiment directly onto it. The image has been added after I've coloured it with Promarkers with foam pads so it gives more depth. Both the sentiment and gift are from the Our Betty acrylic stamp range from Funky Hand.

The Promarker colours that I have used are:
Apple
Meadow Green
Pear Green
Pastel Blue
Powder Blue
Royal Blue

I use what I like and how I like it - everyone is different but its about finding your own style and developing that! I'd love to be able to colour hair with the fab highlights, but it's just not me yet, so I'll carry on doing my own thing.

  • All papers: Funky Daze from Funky Hand
  • Image and Sentiment: Our Betty acrylic stamps from Funky Hand
  • Colours: Promarkers
  • Everything else: My stash

1 comment:

  1. It's gorgeous Ruth, and I love that you used acetate. You seem to have progressed rather spectacularly from tesco felt tips to light and shade with PM's! Thanks for joining in and good luck,
    hugs
    En xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!